Monday, December 19, 2011

Marked For Life


"Too many things for you to deal with dying inside but outside your looking' fearless" – Tupac

I picked this video because the course lyrics strongly relates to this topic.

After attending the program I was deeply touched. One thing that stood out to me was the drive the two young men had to be successful. I believe it’s so hard to live a normal life once you have been locked up for so long. The panel actually reminded me of my brother. My brother is 40 years old and he has been in the system on and off since he was 20. Since he has been out it has been a huge struggle for him, seeing that he is still trying to get adjusted to the free lifestyle.

Nevertheless, Endel, story was touching. I remember crying because I could relate to him when it came to him being a foster child for so long. When he spoke about him receiving his case and viewing the things that were said about him I could relate on so many levels. Endel, to me was a man of Integrity. He did what it was he had to do and did so at any cost.

Arthur was interesting as well. He showed his drive to be successful while being locked up. It’s interesting to see how I learned so much from just hearing their story. Arthur learned a lot while being locked up just by writing someone to get more information on how to start a business. This was extremely touching to me. After getting out he is now enrolled into Gateway and will soon be receiving his degree.

After attending the panel it made me think about how much I take for granted. I believe that I focus in what I don’t have at times verses focusing on what I do have. It’s so easy to look at darkness when you don’t have much light in your corner. Nevertheless, these men showed me what it means to have determination. I wish these men the best of luck and I look forward to hearing and leaning more about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment