Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cultural Event: African Dance Workshop


Today I attended a African Dance Workshop on campus. It was held by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated. It was amazing to finally see someone besides “OMSA” Do a good workshop dedicated to culture. What was more excited is that it was held by a sorority. At the workshop you were given basic knowledge where African Dance originated and were taught basic dance moves. Attending this workshop allowed me to travel back in time when I use to be a part of the “Apollo Dancers”. Apollo Dancers was a co-ed African dance group located in Milwaukee within the Public school system. We met twice a week and our teacher danced for the Ko-Thi Dance Company. While learning the moves it reminded me of class a few weeks back when we learned the true history around “Hula” dancing. It was all touching and spiritually stimulating to learn. As time progressed I found myself in such a positive state of mind. African dancing made me feel as if I was giving back to my ancestors, as if I was paying my respects to the doors they had opened. As a result of this I have posted a video of the dance company my teacher worked at. The photo represents unity and it touched me to see this photo because it reminded me of my dancing days.

No comments:

Post a Comment